4.19.2011

Another end, another beginning...


It seems odd that a week from today I will be studying for my last exam of the semester. The past two years have raced by insanely fast, yet as I look back on them I find that they hold so many awesome memories. As I was thinking about the adventures to come, I remembered a quote that seems relevant to the challenges this summer may bring:

"Men go back to the mountains, as they go back to sailing ships at sea, because in the mountains and on the sea they must face up, as did men of another age, to the challenge of nature. Modern man lives in a highly synthetic kind of existence. He specializes in this and that. Rarely does he test all his powers or find himself whole. But in the hills and on the water the character of a man comes out."

~Henry David Thoreau

I have not spent nearly as much time climbing mountains as I have out at sea. Even so, I have done enough to know that the feeling one gets as they reach the peak is akin to the emotions that course through a sailor making a glorious run under full sail. The shear beauty of being surrounded by nothing but wilderness is an experience never to be forgotten. Personally, it is often out in nature that I feel the closest to God.

I would like to ask for prayer over the summer: for my time at orcalab, for my interactions with the youth on SALTS, and for the strength to do what I hear God calling me to do.

"I lift up my eyes to the mountains—
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth."

~ Psalm 121:1-2

Fair Winds!

No comments:

Post a Comment